06 April 2005

the dangers of geography

It's funny how you can learn something earth shattering and then forget it within the week. It's a little unsettling to realize how affected I am by my circumstances, by my geography. I'm fighting not to lose what I gained in Boulder, but it's starting to feel like a losing fight. I mean you return to these people who haven't experienced what you have experienced, so they are basically you, pre-earth-shattering-paridigm-shift, so you think you'd be able to communicate the journey you've been on, but they don't seem to care, don't seem that interested. And why should they be? You're always content before you experience that thing that changes your life, you don't even know it exists yet, so how would you know to long for it?

So I understand. I'm me, he's him. He's all over there: being himself, understanding himself, working with what he has, and I'm over here, being me and all that goes along with that. This is what it means to be separate human beingings in a world that's not quite right. So I guess the gap is a reality I need to accept, but it makes me wonder how anyone makes this human relationship stuff work. Divine intervention is our only hope. Really.

Anyway, I hate feeling alone just as much as the next person (maybe more), but I just can't let myself forget what I've learned, can't let go of what I've received just so I can slide ever so easily back into my somewhat comfortable life. How can we grow without leaving each other behind? I'm really not sure, but I'm not giving up hope just yet. As Jamie said, "Either this Jesus thing works or it doesn't." Our stupid human problems can't be too big. There must be a way, and our God is big enough to fix this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home