16 September 2005

Dancing in the Kitchen

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, and I'm starting to get complaints. It's been a tumultuous time. I spent a week in Auburn and I just couldn't think clearly enough to post. Now I'm back in Portland and I still don't have much to say.

I'm really enjoying getting to know my new roommate Jenna. She is a hip hop dancer and goes out to clubs and dances in cages. Chris and I are supposedly going to a club with her tonight. We'll see. Last night she gave Chris and me hip hop dance lessons in the kitchen while our homemade pizza baked. Chris and I are both hopelessly lacking rhythm, but Jenna's a great teacher and we had so much fun. I don't know if we're ready for the club just yet, but perhaps someday. As we were scanning the radio stations for something to dance to, "Build Me Up Buttercup" came on. I know it's not exactly hip hop, but we all sang along as Chris and I attempted something akin to swing dancing. It was all so ridiculous and free and just fun.

It's cold and gray and rainy here today and I think this weather might be here to stay. So far it's not bad, but ask me again in three months.

I'm reading Wounds of Passion, a memoir by bell hooks. "Wounds of Passion is a memoir about writing, love, and sexuality...Resisting the notion that love and writing don't mix, she beings a fifteen year relationship with a gifted poet and scholar who inspires and encourages her...Eloquent and powerful, this book lets us see the ways one woman writer works to find her voice while creating a love relationship based on feminist thinking," says the inside of the jacket. I'm intrigued.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad I didn't get to say bye to you. I had fun talking to you at Cambridge when you first arrived though. I realized how much I missed talking to you! Anywho, I hope you have fun in Portland with your new friends :)

Lauren

12:37 PM  
Blogger jessi casara said...

ha ha...hip hop dancing...oh wow, that takes me back to the Blue Room and that London guy. He tried to teach me some hip hop moves, but I wasn't a very good student.

Hey guess what, they had a foam party at the Foundry last night. I stayed far far away...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Calla Maria Davis-Boozer said...

Oh Jessi...you should have gone! Everybody know that foam parties are just good clean fun!

9:41 AM  
Blogger jessi casara said...

There is nothing good nor clean about foam parties...

Hey, did you ever get the water bill thing sorted out, cause my mom just got another bill. Should she call them or something? Just me know what I should do.

Hope you're having a good time in Portland! Love ya mucho, jessi

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home