10 May 2005

the green lumpy places

"So you think you should go away," he clarified.

"Yes."

"Where will you go?"

"America."

"America?" He looked confused.

"America."

"We are in America right now, Don."

"Yeah, I know. But there are other parts to America. I'd like to see the other parts. I was looking at a map the other day, you know, and Texas was sort of brown with some green, a few hills, but then there were other places that were more green with big lumpy mountains. I'd like to go to those places."

"Do you think God is out there somewhere? Out there in the lumpy places?"

"I think God is everywhere."

"Then why do you have to leave?"

"Because I can't be here anymore. I don't feel whole here. I feel, well, partly whole. Incomplete. Tired...Something got crossed in the wires, and I became the person I should be and not the person I am. It feels like I should go back and get the person I should be. Are you following me at all? Do you know what I'm talking about, about the green lumpy places?"

(Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's depressing.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Calla Maria Davis-Boozer said...

it's not meant to be depressing.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I do indeed know what you are talking about.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I felt it was depressing due to my perspective and influence. I guess, maybe, I'm a little sensitive... Okay, stopping here.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Kevin Coleman said...

Sometimes I feel like someone else is living my life. Sometimes I'd like to kick the shit out of that other person, but other times--when I'm sober--I get the feeling that I'm the one to blame. That's when I feel like God has left me. But he hasn't. "How small and selfish is sorrow." It's at those times you miss where God really is.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I began reading this I knew immediately who the author & book was...it's one of my favorites...I think it's an honest comment. I actually felt a bit of the same way when I visited Texas. Maybe that's why I love the Northwest so much...

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home