22 October 2005

worship, not unlike human love

"Worship that is solely cerebral is an aberration. Feelings are a legitimate part of the human personality and should be employed in worship. To make such a statement doesn't mean that our worship should do violence to our rational faculties, but it does mean that our rational faculties alone are inadequate. As Paul counsels, we are to pray with the spirit and pray with the mind, sing with the spirit and sing with the mind (1 Cor. 14:15). That is one reason for the spiritual gift of tongues. It helps us to move beyond mere rational worship into a more inward communion with the Father. Our outward mind may not know what is being said, but our inward spirit understands. Spirit touches spirit."
--Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mauweeta! I'm actually commenting about your previous post. Grilled PB&J!! Woohoo! I think I might have one of those today. Oh, and I know Facebook...I'm sorry. I've realized it's not that exciting, but oh well!

Love ya!
Lauweeta

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm commenting about THIS one.

Hm. Yeah. I agree. Sing with my mind. Sing with my spirit. Pray with my mind. Pray with my spirit. Live with my mind. Live with my Spirit.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home