When I tell people here in Portland that I'm from Alabama they're usually pretty shocked. "Where's your southern drawl?" they ask. I usually take this as a compliment and feel slightly liberated from the confines of my southern upbringing (and I felt especially good about myself when someone told me that they would have guessed I was from somewhere in New England). But I must admit that I sometimes feel a tinge of disappointment that I don't have some fascinating accent to differentiate me and give me a distinctive history. So I was ever so amused and delighted today when I had this little exchange with Kiki, a super-cool eight year old from work:
Kiki: Calla Maria, are you from the country?
Me: Mmm...what do you mean?
Kiki: Well, you talk like a cowgirl.
I guess maybe it just takes the innocent ears of a little girl to pick up on my cowgirl accent.
Kiki: Calla Maria, are you from the country?
Me: Mmm...what do you mean?
Kiki: Well, you talk like a cowgirl.
I guess maybe it just takes the innocent ears of a little girl to pick up on my cowgirl accent.


2 Comments:
( :
Yeah, that's so true. People usually can't tell where I'm from until they ask... and I respond "Alabama" and I apparently have a distinctly alabamian way of saying alabama because they always laugh.
I'd like to meet this Kiki chic.
love, amy
hey woman...i miss you
Post a Comment
<< Home